The Housing Choice Voucher Program (formerly Section 8) is the federal government's major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. The Housing Authority administers the Voucher program in Warren County. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments. Participants are free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and their needs.

A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family's present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the Housing Authority.

A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the Housing Authority on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program.


How do I find an apartment?
Tenants and landlords both use the website Landlord’s list available units and tenant’s locate suitable units by accessing the website or toll free 800#. Units can also be searched using

What is my shopping range?

In determining the maximum initial housing assistance payment for the family, the Housing Authority will use the payment standard in effect on the date the tenancy is approved.

The family may choose to rent a unit for more than the payment standard, but this choice does not change the amount of the Housing Authority’s assistance payment.

The actual amount of the Housing Authority’s assistance payment will be determined using the gross rent for the unit selected by the family.

Can I look for housing outside of Warren?
Searching outside of Warren is using your portability option. Housing Authority of the County of Warren is the initiating Housing Authority. The housing authority being mailed a tenant portability packet is the receiving Housing Authority. The receiving housing authority would let us know if they are absorbing their voucher (which relieves HACW from any further action) or going to bill HACW for their new contract.

How is my share of the rent calculated?
The maximum housing assistance that eligible families can receive under the voucher program is the difference between 30% of the net household income and the current payment standard
Currently the voucher payment standards are:
Dwelling Size Voucher Payment Standards
1 Bedroom $534
2 Bedroom $643
3 Bedroom $808
4 Bedroom $943
5 Bedroom $1,084
6 Bedroom $1,226
Please note that all proposed rents must be comparable and reasonable as compared to similar unassisted units.
The family’s contribution to the program is thirty percent (30%) of their adjusted income. The family’s share of the rent may be adjusted up or down depending on changes in the family’s income or household members. Any new admission or any family who moves may not pay more than 40% of their adjusted monthly income toward the initial rent.

When do I sign a lease?
It is advised that a tenant not sight a lease until after the unit passes the HQS inspection and the monthly rent is approved.

For Answers to other occupancy questions look to the Section 8 Guidebook at: